Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Updates on Prayer Places/Dirty Feet for Heaven

This is going to be a combo post:


First, the Prayer Places for this week are:

This week let's pray for those living in:
U.S.: California
Canada: Prince Edward Island
World: Haiti
Pray as you are led for everyone living in these places around the world.
For more info click here.



An update on the Dirty Feet for Heaven in 2007

Well, the Lord continues to lead me to do small things for him. The lady with the dog that I mentioned meeting on my walks, is rarely seen. (Click here for the story.) Due to weather, I am forced to walk inside. Since my husband is a pastor and the church is nearby, I now walk in part of the church. I saw her picture in the paper recently. She was a part of a group of ladies rewarded for their faithful service for the local historical society. I'm thinking of sending her a copy of the picture, with a 'I'm thinking of you' note.

Also last Sunday two of my Sunday school students are in the same family and they told us (I team teach), that their dad was having back surgery (again) the next day. After Sunday school and before church I met up with him. While in discussion, I asked him if he needed anything, and he admitted that he was low on food. He's a single divorced parent with the custody of four children,at least two maybe more have special needs. So after church my husband the pastor told me who to go to...and they immediately got a package of food ready from the church's emergency food pantry supply. I also was speaking to another lady about seeing how we could get meals to this family. She admitted that this outreach (meals to those who have been sick, hospitalized, etc) has been loosely organized, in the past several years. Since my husband and I are still relatively new to the church, I didn't know who to call on. So one thing led to another...and now WOO--HOO YEAH!!! I am the new coordinator of this ministry. I was able to arrange meals for this family for the next few days. I'm also putting in an insert in the bulletin to update the list of people who I can call on when a need comes up.

On Sunday afternoon, I needed to visit the man and family, who lived nearby, and has no phone, to see about arrangements for the meals. I realized that this man is definitely struggling financially. I am SO glad that he is a part of our church. I'm so glad that this is becoming a part of the Dirty Feet for Heaven revolution for me!!

I grew up in a lower-middle class income area, where we saw and (I actually lived) a lot of these same struggles that this family is going thru. I've been in his shoes and understand maybe more so than others in the church, who happen to be middle to upper middle class income levels. It's something, I'm easier to relate to the lower, and have a harder time relating to the higher income people. I guess from my experience on the Indian reservation, my level of comfortability also further increased with those who are struggling financially in this country. Now, only to get others in our church to look past their noses!!

Poverty in America: its not just in foreign lands...its right here, down the street and up around the corner. Don't you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful :)

I was so encouraged as I read this :)
You are one wonderful woman of God - preaching sometimes using words.

HeyJules said...

Way to go! I, too, am having God put little things here and there and it's been so rewarding. There's something about your day having a focus of service to it that just changes life all around. I LOVE it!

Constance said...

Congrats on your new position! Sometimes as Believers we tend to concentrate more on the lost out there and ignore the very real needs of those in the Body.

Our church is quite large so a lot of times, those needs are met in more than one way. In Ladies Bible Study for example, they'll pass around a sign up sheet for meals when a need is made known. We fascilitate a Life Group with 4 other couples and we meet the needs of each other within the group.

The hard part though is sometimes for people to admit they have a need!
Connie

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Wow--what a big heart you have! I love reading your blog, you're an inspiration!

heidi @ ggip said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on that lady with the dog.
And congrats on your new position. That will likely be a rewarding position because you are visibly helping people.
That's so true that there is poverty right here. I feel like some people are especially called to serve the poor nearby, and some are called to serve in other countries. It's all important and it's all God's work.

Blessings.