Monday, January 15, 2007

On In Other Words



"Let us learn to discern whether the words spoken against us or against God or against the truth are merely for the wind--spoken not from the soul, but from the sore. If they are for the wind, let us wait in silence and not reprove. Restoring the soul, not reproving the sore, is the aim of our love"~ John Piper from "A Godward Life"~

Sometimes I can be disagreeable. When it comes to writings, especially within the Christian scheme of things, I tend to examine everything closely on the basis of the Word of God, before accepting it as truth. I stand up for the Lord. It has not always been an easy or a popular decision.

I say all this, because I’m not sure where this week’s In Other Words quote is coming from. I have not read this book, nor much from John Piper for that matter. So I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

But given what the quote is saying…I’m not sure if we need to place a high priority on discerning where exactly people’s words against us or God, or the truth are coming from. I believe that God and the Bible, the Truth, can certainly take criticism. God is big. He doesn’t need us to defend or justify other’s words against Him or the Bible. He has His own ways of doing those things. God works out His ways in the lives of His critics. If they (the words) are against us, then the Word gives us clear direction on handling criticism, rumors, etc.


Secondly, I don’t think that it should be our goal, our aim of our love to restore one another’s souls. The work of soul-restoring is God’s business. Our business, is how WE act toward others; how our hearts are in relation to God. Are our hearts right with God? Are our hearts, thoughts, actions right toward others? There was a great quote here from “Today at the Mission,” in his blog the other day entitled, “Irreducible Minimum.” It sums up how we should be acting toward others. Also This Side of Glory , had a great post the other day too entitled, "Real Love" also discussing this topic. I encourage you to visit these two bloggers. (And speaking of Christian community, the book recommended by Lorna at see-through faith, by John Ortberg, “Everybody’s Normal Till You Get to Know Them,” is excellent! )

Take care of our actions, and soul; let God take care of other people’s actions, and their souls.

So my take on this week’s quote may be different. But I think we need to take it with a grain of salt, and judge it according to the Word of God. Feel free to disagree with me, but keep it nice!

9 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Hi. This is an interesting view of discernment. It certainly is a worthwhile topic and I'm glad you wrote a bit about it. Definitely God's word can stand up to criticism. Thanks for the reminder.

Supposedly, discernment is one of my spiritual gifts.

Sorry to blab on, but this brought up a memory of this guy my husband knows at church who thinks that a man on PBS is Christian and that we should be following what this guy has to say. I feel like this is where discernment should come in, lest we all be led away by false prophets.

Don't know if that makes sense, but just wanted to let you know that your post got me thinking!

Melissa said...

"The work of soul-restoring is God’s business. Our business, is how WE act toward others; how our hearts are in relation to God. Are our hearts right with God? Are our hearts, thoughts, actions right toward others?"

I agree entirely - the only person we can control is ourselves and the only person's heart we can know is our own so it is foolishness to try to be someone else's Holy Spirit.

Changed by His Love said...

Great thoughts! John Piper is a very passionate lover of Jesus Christ who has written much and is a pastor. He can be found at http://www.desiringgod.org/
My husband reads his stuff and we just saw him at Passion 2007...he is incredible!! Deep, but awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I might should have read your take on the quote before I wrote my own take on it. You are right - God is big - He is actually Huge and He is the One putting His children back on the path where they belong. Thank you so much for sharing.

ampraisingHim said...

Glad that you ladies understood where I was coming from. Blessings and hugs to all of you. thanks for visiting and commenting. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm really intrigued by your take on the quote. Whereas you saw Piper suggesting that we, humans, have a say in the restoring of the soul or defending of God, I took away an admonishment to keep quiet, to listen and allow God at work.

Ultimately, we both came to the same conclusion: That God is bigger than us and it is He at work. We just need to step aside and let God be HUGE in all that HE is doing.

Thanks, too, for your reminders of "discerning" Biblical truth! How appropriate!

Blessings from under the pile,
Elisa

www.laundry-alternative.net

Taya @ Delightful! said...

"The work of soul-restoring is God’s business. Our business, is how WE act toward others; how our hearts are in relation to God. Are our hearts right with God? Are our hearts, thoughts, actions right toward others?"

Such a breath of fresh air. God has been calling me to focus on MY downfalls rather than trying to correct someone else's. I love this journey of learning and growing in Him we are on!

Thank you!

View from the Trekant said...

I appreciate your stunningly honest blog - the last couple of posts in particular.

This topic of discernment and knowning when to citique makes me think, "Isn't it a relief to know that the Holy Spirit carries the responsibility (and has the ability) to convict people of what is right. Thank God that soul-restoring is his business!

Denise said...

Enjoyed your post on this.