Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Christian community

As I said in another post, the Lord has been showing me different areas in my life that I need to work on to further obtain Christian community with those around me. A few years ago I began a search of what Christian community really meant. Is obtaining or finding oneself within a Christian community possible in this age of individualistic emphasis within our society. Can we as people look beyond our noses to the needs of others around us. Many times we feel that our prayers are bouncing off of the wall, and not reaching heaven. Thus, we tend to focus more on our situation which ends up bordering on self-pity. I have to force myself lately, in the midst of a church crisis to realize that 1) the Lord is here with me and my husband who is a pastor. 2) Though the situation may not be changing immediately, that is okay. 3) The Lord will provide me with reason to rejoice each day. 4) He's teaching me things that I may otherwise not be able to learn 5) He is a loving God and will not allow any more than I can bear.

One of the things He is teaching me is to learn to love those around me, at church, even in the midst of a conflict. Loving those who may not return our love; or those who have hurt us, is not a simple act. Vicki, at Windows to My Soul, discussed this very topic yesterday 1/9 on her blog as part of her series analyzing the book 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health, by Donald Whitney Click here for her blog. (also on my sidebar under friends).

Also around the web, another blogger, Lorna, from see-through-faith, has been writing posts that also fit this theme. The Lord has really used her two recent posts, "Abnormal is the norm"; and "through the roof" to really speak to me. You can read the entire two posts, here. (also on my sidebar as friends.) Also check out the book she refers to in her posts, "Everybody's Normal till You Get to Know Them" by John Ortberg.

Thanks ladies, for being faithful to the Lord,and being used by Him to help me through some tough times.

One of the other things I'd like to start here on my blog, as part of reaching out is to pray for various places around the world. I'm thinking of praying for a particular state of the U.S. , a Canadian province and an additional country(ies) each day. Now, in all likelihood, I may not rotate them as frequently as daily, but I may rotate them a couple times a week or weekly. I haven't decided yet. I may add something to my sidebar to indicate the state/countries that I'm praying for. (Edited to add: Yes I have a section on my sidebar. ) Will you join me? Feel free to pray over the state/country/province in whatever way you feel led. But together, if we pray for a particular area of the globe, as united believers, we can only imagine what our prayers will do. Join me in this adventure.

This week, (I will list them for no longer than one week,or less, still deciding :) )

United States: Kansas (let's start in the middle of the U.S.)
Canadian Province: Nova Scotia
Country: Australia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this idea praying for the nations. :)

Bless your heart.

The book I'm writing about in the blog is worth reading. It's challenged me in a very good way.

Greetings from Tallinn (Estonia) - it's the most secular nation in the EU and desperately needs God's glory to fall and His word be proclaimed. The people are lovely - but not many are open to Him yet.

Vicki said...

Just wanted to let you know that I continue to pray for you and the situation there. The Lord is refining us, so dear friend, we will walk together His path of love and mercy.

Hugs,
v.

Anonymous said...

you know - sometimes it is not easy to see past our current hurts. But our Lord will see you through this challenge. Praying for a certain situation takes sometimes a long time to be answered. What I have to remind myself off is that His timing is different that my timing for prayers to be answered.

I think your idea of praying over a state/country/province.