Friday, March 23, 2007

I'm ready for some gardening....

I’m ready for some planting. I’m ready to dig in some dirt. I’m ready to get flowers planted in containers. Who else has done container flower gardening?

I know there are tons of books out there. If you would check in your local library, there usually is at least one or even more shelves devoted to gardening.

I started with one pot of geraniums last year, and am ready to go for MORE this year. What questions do you have? What flowers have you found just flourished in/around your home? What would you like to try this year? I’m always eager to talk to others about container gardening, especially since I’m so new at it.

I know watering/ lack of watering they say is the major problem for container gardeners. To start with I would suggest, checking the container. Some containers hold water better than others. Then check to see if there is a drain hole. Now I’m reading that the experts are going away from the old advice of putting in pot shards and rocks in the bottom to help drainage…what do you think? I then would look at the watering needs of the plant, do they need to be moist, can they, like geraniums stand/need to dry out a little between waterings. I just read today that inserting your finger up to the second joint and checking for moisture level is a good judge. If it is dry, water, if moist check again tomorrow. I know that in humid/ rainy conditions you may not need to water as often. But sunny and/or windy conditions tend to dry out plants. Self-watering containers, and irrigation systems may be installed to help keep plants wet. Any other suggestions about watering?

Any other questions we could discuss? I am just eager to get started, but the weather is not quite ready yet.

8 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

For container gardening, what I do is herbs. Herbs will take over my regular garden like weeds, so I like these in pots. Plus, they are pretty when they flower and I can keep them on the deck which is right by my kitchen.

My hugest problem with potted plants is that when I lapse in watering them (like when I'm out of town), I have a really hard time getting them hydrated again. The water doesn't soak in the soil, it just sortof goes around it and then out of the bottom holes.

I had no idea that they were getting away from the putting the rock in the bottom hole of pots. Maybe I should check a book out of the library or something... What a fun topic!

I love gardening. I like getting my hands dirty and growing something tangible that is either pretty or edible. Gardening is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I have no clue about planter gardening. I don't have a great thumb. I even hurt plants that are virtually indestructible...

Blessings to your Thursday evening and always.

Basketcollector said...

yea I finally see some stats to my parsly and morning glory's!

ADasa said...

Missing your posts -- how are you doing? Dawn
http://entirelyforhim.blogspot.com/

Vicki said...

Wondering how you are---haven't heard from you in so long. Sending warm hugs and love.

Vicki said...

Drive-by hugs!!

Anonymous said...

I am contacting everyone on the Laced With Grace blogroll to say....

As a contributor to the Laced With Grace Devotional Site, I want thank you for your faithful readership. September is our one-year anniversary. We are please to announce we have a permanent new address. www.lacedwithgrace.com. Please change your link to include this new address.

Thank you. Lynn

Vicki said...

Sending love & hugs...hope to hear from you!