Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Thankful Thursdays~Small Praises 4





This week's theme could be considered "Nostalgia". I have some very painful memories of growing up~ yet I also have some good memories. The more I looked for the good, the more they came flooding into my mind. I am not yet 40, but over the age of 30 LOL, so I have had some unique experiences of old fashioned things, especially early in my childhood. I am thankful for the memories of:

1. A creek. Sliding on the creek in the middle of winter, with no ice skates ,but our boots. We had it slippery enough to go from one edge of our property to the other, and maybe even a little beyond. :)

2. A driveway. In one of our houses growing up, we had a 1/4 mile driveway mostly downhill (coming from the house to the road). It made an EXCELLENT sledding hill for us in the winter, and a hard driving for my father! I remember him parking the car often at the bottom of the steepest part and walking up.

3. A wringer washer. This was in my early years, helping with the laundry, we would put the clothes from the electric washing tub, through the wringer, into a metal tub with rinse water, and then again through the wringer, into another metal tub filled with rinse water, and then again through the wringer into the basket, and then we hung them out on the line.

4. Outhouses. I remember my grandparents having one. Even though they had indoor plumbing, it was so convenient when playing outside to use it without having to go inside.

5. Potbellied stoves. I remember as a teenager, when we were looking for a new church, visiting one that had its source of heat from two pot bellied stoves, one on each side of the room.

6. Old fashioned drugstores. Up until my teens, I remember getting prescriptions at a drugstore that sold magazines, candy and had a counter with a fountain~ a soda (pop) fountain. The counter had stools we could sit on and look up into a big mirror, and other nostalgia items. I think we could also get ice cream. The pop was served in a nice tall "Coke" glass with ice and a straw.

7. Historic church. Up until I was a teenager, the church we attended was dated back into pre-American Revolution times, the early 1770's.

8. The desks we used in our elementary school, had a hole cut out for the ink well. It was no longer used, but the writing top lifted to reveal a storage space underneath.

9. When I was really little, I remember my mom being a camp counselor, and us kids went along for the week. I remember sometimes having to fill a sack the size of a sleeping bag with straw for a mattress. Within a few years those 'straw ticks' were all replaced with real mattresses.

10. Hymns and choruses. I know music is so subjective. I am old enough to appreciate the hymns and young enough to enjoy the praise choruses. So I enjoy both. I found a website with some of the old hymns. I have sung these hymns down through the years in small country churches, in ornate 'Gothic' type churches, in mission churches with wooden slat benches on the reservation, in mega churches with the most comfortable pews available and room for hundreds, in Mennonite, Catholic, Presbyterian, Assembly of God, Baptist, Methodist, Independent, Four Square, and other churches, all praising the Lord. To me what else can lift the soul than a rousing chorus of "Wonderful Grace of Jesus"; "To God be the Glory"; "Victory in Jesus"; "There Shall be Showers of Blessing"; "I Saw the Light"; "Up from the Grave"; "He is Lord"; "Shout to the Lord", "Majesty"; "Humble Thyself" and many many others.

So I praise the Lord for the many wonderful experiences He has enabled me to experience despite the many dark days of my past.

For more Thankful Thursday participants click here on Thursday.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulously unique list and great reminder of truly what we can be thankful for from 'days of yore'!!! So glad I came here ;). You blessed me greatly. Eileen @ http://halfwayhome.wordpress.com

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Great list! I bet we are the same age or close to. :)

Blessings~

Unknown said...

What an awesome list! You brought back so many memories for me too (I'm almost 60)! Thank you for sharing these.

Blessings to you.

heidi @ ggip said...

Great list. Although I know the difference, there are some hymns that you would think were written recently because they are full of praise. I actually prefer hymns, but I like praise songs too.

on the Rock said...

Wonderful list of thankfuls!

tatnlace said...

Outhouses...... brings back memories! My grandparents had one also but NO indoor plumbing. Great list. Thanks for sharing!
Bless you.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I love that list. It's so cool to be able to look back fondly on memories and be thankful for them.

Denise said...

This is a very nice list, bless you.

Ms. Kathleen said...

This is a great and very creative list. I really enjoyed it. We had a creek in Missouri and my cousin and I took an inner tube down it until we heard the gushing of water flowing into the Mississippi. We had a blast. We had an outhouse on our farm that came in handy a few times and now have one on our acreage...which I hope I NEVER have to use!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

What an incredible list to be thankful for. I love the old experiences we have from our childhood. I love how you see the out-house experience :) - my great-grand-parents had one and we used to use it as little kids. Although I love praise music and it is my preference - I so enjoy singing the old hymns as well - especially on church holidays.

Thank you for sharing your list this week with us.
Blessings on your Thursday evening and always...

Looney Mom™ said...

Hi there. I was just going through the Thankful Thursday blogroll. It sounds like maybe we're close to the same age. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I too remember the wringer washer. I used to love to "help" my grandma with the laundry - until I got my arm caught all the way up in it! LOL!

Viamarie said...

With technology today, many have not thanked the simple things we used to enjoyed years ago. You did well by sharing it with us.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I also remember the old town drugstore...i actually used to ride my bike up there (to get away from home)...and enjoy a vanilla coke at the fountain! It has been my goal these past few years to only focus on moments such as these! I also remember the town library that I used to hide in for hours...the second floor was made of smoky glass and I used to love to just browse and read all day until it was almost dark. You have inspired me to perhaps take a stroll down memory lane also..with the good memories.

Chrixean said...

Shout to the Lord and Majesty are my favorite worship songs! This is a very unique list you put together. Thanks for sharing them with us :-)

Kate said...

What a special list...how neat to "look back" and take stock of the many things of our past we can be grateful for! Have a lovely weekend!