Thursday, January 4, 2007

A Scripture for the Night part 2

This is turning out to be a great passage for me. I will be discussing it for a couple of days. Please join me as I look at the passage in more detail. Tonight I want to discuss the first portion.

25 One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: "Teacher, what must I do to receive eternal life?" 26 Jesus replied, "What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?" 27 The man answered, " `You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.' And, `Love your neighbor as yourself. "' 28 "Right!" Jesus told him. "Do this and you will live!"
Luke 10:25-28 (NLT)

By rereading these verses, we learn that an expert in religious law wanted to test Jesus, in the end however the expert was put to the test. The first part of the discussion focuses on how to obtain eternal life. Jesus is upholding what was taught in the Law of Moses (Deuteronomy. 6:5; and Leviticus. 19:18) as loving God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind, and loving your neighbor as yourself .

My question to myself is yes, I have already begun my walk in faith with Jesus. I have already asked Him to be Lord of my life. But am I continuing to love Him with everything, with all of my heart, soul, mind, strength...? I know its not perfect, and I have a long way to go.

The Barna Group released their year end "12 Most Significant Religious Findings from 2006 Surveys". Click here for the article. The first finding they discussed was how few people say that their religious faith is their top priority. The article is under copyright, therefore I can't quote it here. Please visit the link.

Something to chew on!! Read the entire article. Then feel free to comment here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why, apH, but for some reason the word "religious" always leave me with a bad taste in my mouth...I guess, because of the 'religious' leaders at Jesus' time -- they didn't get that Jesus to save them, but they wanted to save themselves.